Thing a Week 3: Custom card box

A while back,  I backed a project on Kickstarter called The GameMaster’s Apprentice. In short, this is a deck of 60 cards with print on both sides that helps create random events, npc’s and stuff like that. Seeing as I’m currently running a D&D 5e campaign for the first time, I felt like this would be a useful tool.

2015-01-21 20.52.57

Unfortunately, the cards did not come with a box to keep them organized.

This has been kind of a problem for me, since I just kind of left them on my desk, as I do with a lot of stuff.

I didn’t want to just salvage an old card box from some deck of cards, though.

I decided to make my own box for the cards, to make it my own.

2015-01-21 20.55.10

A few pieces of cardboard and half a roll of off-brand duct tape later, I was done.

I lined the inside of the box with the non-sticky side of the duct tape. It isn’t perfect – the cards don’t slide off that surface as smoothly as I’d like, but it’ll do. The biggest challenge was creating a mechanism for the box to close properly, to keep any cards from falling out. After cannibalizing a few ziploc bags and realizing that that didn’t work once you cut the bag open (which was a pity, because I could’ve made a neat closing mechanism that way), I decided on just going with more duct tape. Hey, it really DOES fix everything!

2015-01-21 20.54.38

The closing mechanism isn’t perfect (like the lining of the box), but so far it seems to work as intended!

-Barl0we