duct tape

Thing a Week 6: Duct tape holster.

Thing a Week 6: Duct tape holster.

For this week’s Thing a Week, I’m getting ready to go to the bi-annual Copenhagen Burlesque party.

This event requires a costume to get in. This year, I have decided to go with a mix of previous costumes to create a Steampunk Huntsman costume. To this end, I am getting a plastic axe to modify to go with my costume.

The first time I went to the Copenhagen Burlesque in a steampunk getup, I painted a Nerf gun (the Maverick model) to fit in with the aesthetic.

Even though my main accessory will be the axe, I still want to bring the gun.

 

2015-02-11 23.51.31

I’ve made a rough holster for the gun out of black duct tape. At the moment, it still needs some fixin’ – at least if I want to be able to draw the gun easily.

The final big change to the holster will be a strap that runs through the holster, and around my thigh to hold the gun in place. I have decided to wait with that until when I am actually putting on my costume, though.

I am also finishing up my first video game review for the website – I’m reviewing Dying Light! I am mostly done with the text, and am currently editing together a video, so people have their choice of reading the review, or listening to it.

Posted by Barl0we

Posted by Barl0we in Thing a Week, 0 comments
Thing a Week 3: Custom card box

Thing a Week 3: Custom card box

A while back,ย  I backed a project on Kickstarter called The GameMaster’s Apprentice. In short, this is a deck of 60 cards with print on both sides that helps create random events, npc’s and stuff like that. Seeing as I’m currently running a D&D 5e campaign for the first time, I felt like this would be a useful tool.

2015-01-21 20.52.57

Unfortunately, the cards did not come with a box to keep them organized.

This has been kind of a problem for me, since I just kind of left them on my desk, as I do with a lot of stuff.

I didn’t want to just salvage an old card box from some deck of cards, though.

I decided to make my own box for the cards, to make it my own.

2015-01-21 20.55.10

A few pieces of cardboard and half a roll of off-brand duct tape later, I was done.

I lined the inside of the box with the non-sticky side of the duct tape. It isn’t perfect – the cards don’t slide off that surface as smoothly as I’d like, but it’ll do. The biggest challenge was creating a mechanism for the box to close properly, to keep any cards from falling out. After cannibalizing a few ziploc bags and realizing that that didn’t work once you cut the bag open (which was a pity, because I could’ve made a neat closing mechanism that way), I decided on just going with more duct tape. Hey, it really DOES fix everything!

2015-01-21 20.54.38

The closing mechanism isn’t perfect (like the lining of the box), but so far it seems to work as intended!

-Barl0we

Posted by Barl0we in Thing a Week, 0 comments